Job Description – Cellarman/Assistant Brewer – CAB for short Reports To: Head Brewer
We are looking for a self-motivated, hardworking, dedicated person to join our brewery. The CAB will be responsible for all thing’s beer. Which includes fermentation, temperature, treatment, clarification, carbonization, packaging, and beer quality taste testing. CAB should expect to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, up to 12 hours per day if needed. The CAB is an hourly,
The CAB will have:
• Strong work ethic
• Ability to think critically and work unsupervised
• Mechanical aptitude and understanding of mechanical systems
• Ability to maintain detailed documentation for all batches, processes, cleaning, and maintenance
• Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
The CAB will report directly to our Head Brewer and will be actively involved in all day-to-day operation from the receipt and processing of raw materials to the packaging and tapping of the finished beer. General job duties include cellar work, transferring, cleaning, kegging, canning, cleaning, brewing, and more cleaning.
Specific job duties include but are not limited to:
• Raw ingredient organization/inventory/measurement per recipes
• Basic brewhouse operation
• Helping to run quality assurance and quality control procedures
• Cellar work including beer transfer and carbonation
• Packaging of draft and canned product
• Tank cleaning and sanitation
• Cooler organization and cleaning
• Line cleaning
• Beer quality testing
• Even more cleaning
• Input inventory of beer and raw materials into computer
• Yeast harvesting
• Assist head brewer and learn brewhouse processes and techniques
• Glycol system management and maintenance
• Preventative maintenance
• Keg cleaning and filling
• Picking up empties and delivering beers to 2nd location.
• Assist with beer festivals
• Minimum 6 months experience in a commercial high volume brewery ***NOT an entry level position***
• Strong passion for all thing’s beer
• Basic understanding of brewing science
• Basic knowledge of brewery tanks, chemical handling, CIP procedures, cleaning and sanitizing
• Be self-motivated, critical thinker, common sense, problem solver and very organized
• Computer literate with a good understanding of Microsoft Excel
• Sense of humor, ability to interact with coworkers and customers
• Ability and willingness to interact and teach servers and bartenders. Give tours to customers on brewing
basics, beer styles and brewhouse functions in a friendly manner.
• Positive attitude
• Weekend, early morning work required at times
• Ability to engage in heavy physical labor including climbing stairs, climbing into tanks, pulling hoses, scrubbing, and working in hot environments or in uncomfortable positions (bending/squatting/reaching) etc.
• Ability to stand and walk on hard surfaces for an entire shift.
• Ability to work in wet, hot, and cold conditions.
• Ability to work safely with potentially hazardous chemicals.
• Ability to move up to 160 pounds (roll/hand truck) and lift up to 75 lbs.
• Willingness to adhere to all PPE (personal protective equipment) requirements and follow all SOP and
safety protocols without question.